Why the Capitol School?
The Capitol School is a Multiple Intelligence School founded in 1993 whose mission is to educate responsible citizens of the world.
Since 1993, our faculty has worked to find ways to incorporate Multiple Intelligences opportunities for our faculty and students in Pre-School through 12th grades. Medical research indicates the capacities of the brain and how the mind is organized.
Harvard psychologist, Dr. Howard Gardner, wrote Frames of Mind: Multiple Intelligences in 1983 and identified multiple intelligences -- rather than one general intelligence.
The Capitol School provides programs for children ages 2 1/2 through high school graduation with an Advanced Academic Diploma. The Capitol School is fully accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). This agency's report stated: "The Capitol School offers its students the best practices in education."
Across the 11 southern states, there are only 10 schools that have attained international accreditation. International accreditation means that educational excellence, measured by world class standards, is practiced at The Capitol School. International accreditation ensures that all credits earned at The Capitol School are transferable to any accredited school throughout the world. Over the past decade, students from 57 different countries have been enrolled. Currently, one student in four was born abroad or has parents who are citizens of foreign countries.
What do we believe about teaching and learning?
- We believe that each student has multiple intelligences and should have experiences in all of these areas.
- We believe that children must feel safe to learn.
- We believe that parents must be involved in their child's school.
- We believe that students need concrete experiences to ensure that teaching and learning are active and engaging.
- We believe that instruction should be individualized to meet each child's needs.
- We believe in using various methods of assessing a child's and methods reporting their progress to parents. These may include progress reports, narratives, checklists, portfolios, and video portfolios.
- We believe our school building should provide a comfortable, clean, and home-like atmosphere.
- We believe in utilizing the latest research on best practices in education.
- We believe that while academically challenged students may not reach the same educational goals of gifted and talented students, that they can benefit from the Multiple Intelligences curriculum while contributing to the learning environment.